What is ECOMAP?
ECOMAP stands for Energy Efficiency and Conservation Municipal Action Plan
. This is the Village’s plan to reduce the amount of energy used by municipal operations, residents and businesses.
How did it come about?
The Village was selected by ComEd for a Community Energy Challenge. The challenge is a competitive program designed to help municipalities develop and implement energy efficiency and conservation projects that reduce energy use while advancing municipal sustainability objectives.
What’s the Goal?
For the first year, the goal is to reduce the energy footprint of the Village by 0.5% to 1.5% or begin the downward trend in energy consumption and establish a benchmark for future reductions.
How will the goal be accomplished?
- Transforming the way Orland Park residents, businesses and visitors acquire, use and think about energy;
- Revise code amendments, planning and development review procedures, and municipal economic development loans and incentive programs to increase energy savings;
- Target homes, businesses, schools and colleges, and faith communities for energy savings and to market energy saving products;
- Work with the insurance community to develop mitigation strategies for energy-related risks;
- Encourage local architects, engineers and designers to build green;
- Work with contractors to deliver energy saving programs;
- Increase local use of renewable energy resources and provide information and education on solar, wind, geothermal and other renewable energy systems;
- Target specific planning and public works projects and goals that reduce traffic congestion, green house gas emissions and save energy;
- Target municipal and other public buildings for energy savings;
- Establish Orland Park municipal energy conservation standards;
- Educate and provide information to major water consumers on water conservation;
- Use municipally sponsored recreational activities, events and programs to increase energy efficiency and conservation awareness and savings.
Download and read the entire Village of Orland Park ECOMAP Plan.